You know that saying: If I could go back in time...........
Well, unfortunately not possible. But the mind is such a wonderful thing, it can take you anywhere.
The heart of my growing up years took place in the Bronx. There are things and people who stick with me forever in my mind and in my heart. So many good times walking up and down my block on Grand Concourse. I sure miss those days,the holidays,the diversity. Now looking back, so many things have changed but never will I forget that this is where it all began.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11/01: A Day I Will Never Forget.....watch a video dedication......

Today, it has been nine years since one of the world's biggest tragedies in history. Although we will never forget that day , it hits us every time another year passes by. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on that day when I heard and saw the news. I think everyone does too. I dedicate this to the memory of all the innocent people who lost their lives, to their families and loved ones and to all those who risked their lives for others. Life is so precious..... Let us Never Forget. Here is a video dedication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LxUISLL5o

I remember that morning very well. It started out as a typical work day for me. I was working at the VA Hospital here in Florida as an RN. Things certainly took a whole different turn as news started coming in about the tragedy ocuring at that same moment. I watched the news in disbelief of reports about planes crashing into the Twin Towers/ World Trade Center in New York City and terrorists.WHAT!
I heard one coworker say "what if they target us?" And I could see how she too was trying to hold back the tears. It was a time where so many thoughts flashed through our minds. I could also see how many of our patients were affected in one way or another as they watched the news reports in their rooms. One of the most heartbreaking things that I heard on the news were the voice mail recordings that passengers from the different flights left their loved ones as they tried to reach them during the chaos. Some passengers not even knowing  what was going and those who knew that those would be their last words. And so recording after recording was played. As I learned more about the events that day and seeing the horrific scenes and images, I could only say, "This ....you only see in the movies". And for a moment it seemed as though time stood still. Then slowly beginning to absorb the fact that this was all real life. And the fact that some time ago, I strolled through those streets of  New York and as a kid, I was one of those who looked up at all the tall buildings with such amazement and felt so tiny in the middle of the city. I could only hope that something like this doesn't  happen ever again.

1 comment:

Annah said...

When I think back on 9/11 I don't know I become angry. The thoughs ot people jumping to their death makes me wonder why we weren't better prepared to at least save the one who were up there and survived. It's just crazy to me.