You know that saying: If I could go back in time...........
Well, unfortunately not possible. But the mind is such a wonderful thing, it can take you anywhere.
The heart of my growing up years took place in the Bronx. There are things and people who stick with me forever in my mind and in my heart. So many good times walking up and down my block on Grand Concourse. I sure miss those days,the holidays,the diversity. Now looking back, so many things have changed but never will I forget that this is where it all began.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A ride down memory lane......

I was thinking of a few things today: You know, sometimes it is easy to overlook and bypass certain things in life, simple things that you learn later on how meaningful they come to be as you reflect on them .Anything from your first or last something, a place, person, an event an occasion.No matter how little it is you will remember as clear as day. This list is really a never ending one as there is TOO MUCH that I would love to list so It will be a "to be continued":

  • Orchard Beach (most popular beach, the best family picnics and get togethers till the sun came down)
  • City Island and Coney Island (just cool fun, great food )
  • Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd (endless shops)
  • Italian icees and giant pizza slices( I could eat that every single day)
  • Alexander's Dept Store (everything in one place, shopping and shopping there all the time)
  • Leow's Paradise Theatre (enjoyed all the latest attractions, I remember seeing Amityville Horror: The Possession- big mistake to watch at that time......I left the theater halfway through movie.... but still, good old memories )
  • Menudo( I'm afraid so...c'mon.... they were hot back in the day)
  • Hot chocolate and donuts at he near by Dunkin Donuts on the weekends with my dad.
  • Ringling Brother's Circus (went every year...remember when they brought in "a unicorn")
  • Sixteen Candles (every teen girl's favorite movie)
  • Christmas at Rockefeller Center (lighting of the Christmas tree and the ice skating)
  • Skate Key (man.......now that brings back the greatest memories of all times)
  • New Kids On The Block (Oh yeah, what else can I say)
  • PS9, IS 137, JHS 118 (awesome)
  • Earthquake in New York in the mid 80s(I'm not sure the year but that was the first time I ever experienced one, I thought it was a dream but it was actually real)
  • Trick or treating around my block....and my brother actually getting candy snatched once...shame on you whoever did that)
  • Watching one of the greatest Broadway shows in history: CATS (that was awesome)
  • A person that I nicknamed "Cat"....just because he reminded me of one.(Wherever you are....I wish you the best....you were always a good guy)
  • MTV- (when they actually ran videos all day long, what happened??)

No comments: